Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Oreo Cupcake


A couple months ago my co-worker had a birthday. I used this as an excuse to try out a recipe I had printed out from: http://www.beantownbaker.com/. They did not disappoint!!! I think to date they are my favorite thing I've baked. I've discovered that Jeff doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, so unless I want to gain 6,000 lbs.......I need to bake for other people! Although, I believe he ate about 3 of these over a couple days:) They were pretty easy to make (well I did have a few OCD moments in splitting the Oreos for the bottom, but that's between me and the Oreos). They were REALLY delicious. I will definitely be making them again!! In fact typing up this post makes me want to make them now!




Oreo Cupcakes


1 stick of butter (the original called for unsalted but I only had salted and it worked fine)


1 cup milk


2 tsp vanilla extract


2 1/4 cups flour + 2 TBS for the Oreo chunks


1 tsp baking powder


1/2 tsp salt


1 2/3 cup sugar


3 large egg white, at room temperature


1 pkg Oreo Cookies (45)




Preheat oven to 350F. Insert liners into the cupcake pan (I'm a big dork but I LOVED the imprint of the Oreo on the liner. It's little things like that make me happy!)




Twist apart 24 Oreos. Place the wafer with the filling on it, filling side up, in the bottom of each paper liner. Cut the other wafers in half. Save 24 halves to place in the frosting. Crush the other wafer halves also, for garnishing.




Cut the remaining Oreo cookies (23 or so) into quarters with a sharp knife. Toss with 2 TBS of flour and set aside.




In a large bowl cream the butter until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla and mix to combine.




In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.




Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix until integrated. Stir in the sugar. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes. Add the egg whites. Beat for 2 more minutes. Stir in the quartered cookies.




Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.




Frosting


8 oz cream cheese at room temperature


1 stick butter at room temperature


1 TBS vanilla extract


3-4 cups powdered sugar




Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy.




Add vanilla extract. Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.




Assemble the cupcakes


Once cupcakes have cooled completely, frost with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the crushed Oreos and place 1/2 of an Oreo on the top of each cupcake!





1 comment:

  1. They were SO good! You should make them again really soon! I like to eat them while they're still warm. Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete