Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Healthier Me.

Recently I've decided to get myself back into a more healthy place. And I'm not just talking hip size and thigh size. Although that is a huge part.....Pun intended:) Part of making myself healthier includes my attitude. I have started to accept that I won't be moving back to Boston or Utah anytime soon, if ever, and that my home is here in Oklahoma with Jeff. My bad attitude about living here didn't REALLY have anything to do with Oklahoma itself I've learned. It was about me being stubborn and thinking that it was just a temporary thing. That it wasn't ever going to really be my home. Once I decided to give it a chance, I actuallydecided I quite like it. And I know it makes Jeff happier to see me happier. A couple weeks ago I think I finally figured out a couple reasons why I was having such a hard time adjusting in the first place.





1. For the past 12ish years I've been in control of my own destiny. If I woke up and saw an ad in the paper looking for nannies (True story!), I could answer that ad, and move across country. Now I have a husband to consider. It's not just me anymore making the decisions.



2. Boston and Utah have both been such a HUGE part of my identity for so long, I've felt a little lost without either of them being the place I call home.



3. I'm married to and living with a BOY for the first time. And while it being an answer to many years of prayers, and having the MOST wonderful husband in the world....it's still a little strange to have to put the toilet seat down. And it's a little strange to see shaving cream in my bathroom:).



4. I don't have my friends or sisters or mom near me. It's been a little lonely at times.


Thank goodness for great in-laws or it could have been REALLY lonely around here.



5. My husband works over-night. So I'm adjusting to a new place, a new relationship and I feel like I NEVER get to see him!



I'm not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me. I'm seriously so lucky and blessed. It's just been a learning period for me.


The other problem in my life? The physical one? I have my OWN kitchen for the first time ever. And whether it was a good decision for my waistline to make cream puffs in the middle of the night, I've pretty much made whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted if something struck my fancy! Trust me that is changing. I can't promise I won't ever bake at midnight when I want cookies, but it won't be happening every night of the week:)



So after all that soul bearing, I'll get to the original idea I had for this post (who knew I had so much I wanted to say?). Last week, I made myself a promise that I would go to the gym at least 3 times that week ( I did achieve that!) As I got out to my car after working out one day, it was already this hot outside:Bearing that in mind, what bright idea do you think I had? I thought I could sweat a little bit more by rolling up the windows in this INSANE heat and turning the heater on. That lasted for about 1 minute. It felt like the flames of hell were literally eating me alive. When I told Jeff what I did, he just looked at me like I was a crazy person. So the point of that story? Some ideas are better in my head than acted out!


But I am going to stick with making myself healthier. Inside and out.....And I when I eat delicious things like this salad for lunch, it's not too hard to be healthy....Most of the time:)



And something I love about Oklahoma? It's not hard to find evidence all around you that God is important to people here. I love that about my new home!

P.S. I've decided this blog thing is actually pretty awesome. Whether or not anybody reads it, I like being able to write about what I want. I'm finding it pretty therapeutic and FUN!

11 comments:

  1. You're awesome Alicia! It is tough with no family and friends. I'm in the same situation. Have made some new friends now but it's never easy. Good luck! I'm home all day if you get lonely. Call me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need some toilet seat training. :)

    You've got a great life (but I still wish you were in Boston)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know what you mean about blogging it helps so much for me too. I also just started a new diet plan, but more a way of life and started a new private blog for that which is great.
    I was getting so depressed here and felt so guilty about it and having this new look at things is already making a difference. More than my waistline it is my attitude and all that needed the help. I loved this post because I feel so much the same minus the boy part. Glad to hear I am not alone and thank you for sharing seriously! :*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on some good decisions! I know what you mean about feeling lonely. I'm still in Utah, but I've moved away from all my friends, I don't have much family close, and since my mom passed away I feel like I don't have anyone. I have some awesome friends, but I've moved 5 times since the end of 2006, so it's hard to keep local ones. Keep your chin up! I am sure, you being the wonderful personality that you are, you will meet some fantastic people and have some amazing experiences. Keep blogging- not only are you inspiring yourself, but you'd be surprised by how many others you are inspiring as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alicia, it's so fun to read your blog! And your comments are kind of uncanny since I was just thinking about you....... at none other than GOLD'S GYM. I was lifting weights and thought, "If Alicia were here she would tell me I was inspirational." I know I talk about that a lot, but you always made me smile when I saw you there.

    OK is a lucky place to have you in it. That sounds so corny, but I really mean it. Our family adores you!

    Unsolicited reading advice.... I found the book Women, Food, and God rather refreshing and enlightening. I have decided that I don't have to fight against myself, as if I am a PROBLEM. She (Geneen Roth) says it way better than I can. (I don't agree with everything she says, but I like many of her suggestions and her change of perspective about dieting.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am long-winded.....

    Living with a boy does kind of rock your world after enjoying the single life. I was so happy to get married that it shocked me when I felt like being married was rather boring compared to having roommates and friends all around me. Since Brian works 24-hour shifts, I was super lonely. I felt kind of guilty too because I had prayed and prayed that I would find someone to marry and then when it happened, I wasn't as grateful as I ought to be. That feeling was magnified 20x after having a baby! I won't go there..... he he he he he...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We missed you last night at sister night! We love you even though you're FAR AWAY! Keep up the good work. Lovve your blog! CCC

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are ALL so nice. I am the luckiest girl to have such wonderful people in my life.....And nice to know we all got through the same thigns sometimes. Jen, I will for sure have to read that book. I miss seeing your face at the gym too!
    And I wish I could have been there for sister night. Stephanie said it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog! You are an amazing person. Maybe Spence and I will have to make a trip to Oklahoma! ( I am sure it can be as excited as Boston... Right?) You are awe inspiring as well. I wish I could get myself to eat healthy. I have a thing for food and it seems that our relationship is getting stronger daily! Laughing! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This might seem weird, but I have your opposite problem. I moved so much as a kid, that I never set down roots. I was so used to having acquaintances, that it's been harder to make and keep friends. And I hated UT and couldn't wait to move away. LOL. I'm glad you are enjoying OK. One word: Mexican. Jenn says they have some. Second word: Jealous. As in I am.

    ReplyDelete