Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A little Summer Snack!



Yesterday for dinner I planned on making homemade pesto. Can you guess where my love of pesto started?!? Boston. It is REALLY delicious. I've always just bought it pre-made, but I decided I was up for the challenge of making it from scratch. It turned out really great. Anyway, the point of this post isn't about the pesto, but what I did with my leftover Basil.I had a bunch of fresh Basil that I didn't want to go to waste. And as I was thinking of what to do with it, I had a great idea.....A Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil salad! It turned out so yummy and was super simple and quick to make. And if you can believe it....my meat and potato loving husband LOVED it!

All I did was chop up some tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and then tore up a few basil leaves and layered it on a plate. That by itself would have been wonderful, but I decided to kick it up a notch and sprinkled a little kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper on top. And the final touch? A little drizzle of olive oil and then a few splashes of balsamic vinaigrette ( I read yesterday about a lady who pays a $100.00 per bottle of the balsamic. I don't think I've ever paid over $6.00!).

It was like a little summer party of deliciousness in my mouth. And look at the grin on my cute husband's faceDon't worry, I got a few bites:)


P.S. Do you spy the handle of a bat in this picture? I don't know why it made me laugh when I saw it. Some could say I need more sleep.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see a peek at your apartment! More photos, please. Oh, and that salad sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where my love of pesto started!!!! when you came to my house for a week and made the most delicious food ever but pesto and homemade breadsticks were my favorite!!!!! I actually had that on sunday and it made me miss you even more than i already do!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want your recipe for Pesto! That combo is also good on bread and toasted in the oven. The mozzarella melts all over everything, it's Delicious!

    ReplyDelete